Detailed Instrument Description
Its sophisticated design delivers a number of optical, mechanical and application innovations targeted at expert users:
- 120 lp/mm resolution with at least 50% Modulation Transfer Function (MTF50)
- 55,0 mm image circle to cover film/sensor formats including Micro 4/3, APS-C, Full Frame 24x36mm and medium formats 33x44mm.
- 74,9 mm rear focal distance to ensure easy adaptation to nearly all film or digital camera mounts in production in 2019. The 110APO requires the use of an appropriate Hasselblad V-mount lens adapter for use with the target camera. The 110APO is not designed to be used on Hasselblad cameras due to mechanical incompatibilities.
- An optional, fully mechanical Shift Adapter provides the correct adaptation of the 110APO to cameras with Canon EF- and Nikon F-mounts. The adapter shifts laterally ±12mm and rotates 360° continuously around the optical axis with spring-loaded detents every 45° starting at Top Dead Center.
- Aperture control is fully manual with no dependencies on electronics, ensuring its compatibility with all camera systems. All f/ stops are adjusted steplessly with no detents using a German-made, 15-blade iris unit. Each f/ stop and in-between stops are marked on the aperture control ring. Point Spread Function (PSF) diameters in microns (µm) indicate corresponding lens performance at each lens opening.
- Focusing control is fully manual with no dependencies on electronics, ensuring its compatibility with all camera systems. A 270° rotation of the focus control ring brings the focused distance from infinity to the minimum focusing distance (from the front element) of 40cm or 15-3/4”. Distances are marked in meters and feet.
- An NWS Instruments invention: the torque adjustment knob feature
- The top of the torque adjustment knob on the lens barrel is perfectly level with the top of the NWS Instruments Akrobat™ Modular Instrument Positioning System front frame, and a suitable carpenter’s level can be used to enable leveling.
- When the torque adjustment knob is adjusted through its range, it can reduce or increase the torque required to adjust the focus ring. This is especially helpful for precise, fine focus adjustment. In addition, the “L” setting of the knob enables the focus adjustment to be fixed even when the lens barrel is tilted off horizontal position, ensuring a focused distance to remain set until the knob is released from the “L” position.
- Internal Lens Movement and Filter attachment
- The extremely high level of resolution is further enhanced with continuous optimization from infinity to the minimum focusing distance of 57cm. This is made possible by precision mechanical movement of differential lens element groups inside the lens barrel.
- Since this movement span a relative long distance, its location and alignment accuracy bears greatly on the resulting performance of the lens. Extreme care is taken during design and manufacturing to ensure these critical tolerances are properly maintained through the use of precision ball bearings.
- The front lens element is deeply set inside the lens barrel assembly to maximum the effect of stray light on its performance, as well as offering an additional measure of damage prevention. A filter thread of M82 x 0,75 is provided at the front of the lens assembly.
- At the base of the lens barrel is a 360° scale around the circumference of the lens barrel. It is reserved for future feature implementations.